Header too big

Homepage Forums Website Discussion & Support Header too big

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

When browsing the site, at the top of every page is the big header we see on the main page. See image below for Header #1. On the main page is fine, but everywhere else it eats up a lot of room that can be used and one has to scroll down to get to the article or whatever. Notice how the links wrap on a shorter browser window, taking up more space as well. I know readers will need to scroll down anyways, but the big header just bugs me. :0P
      This is a big nitpick of mine for some other websites as well. A big header , for me, is distracting.
      I offer an option to the present header on the site pages, but not to the main page. See Header #2 in the image below.
      Just a suggestion,
      Thanks

Changing the header and navigation placement on different pages or sections of a website generally isn’t a good idea. Things like that should be consistent across a whole site.

I’ll do some tweaking on the dev/test site and see how things look with a smaller logo, nav placement, etc.

Edit: Moved to Website Discussion & Support

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks. I’m probably the only one that will ever mention it. :0P

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oh just thought, the header would be like in a PHP table thing? Dang it’s been a while. I kinda recall, you can have one thing to change and it changes on every page.

Oh just thought, the header would be like in a PHP table thing? Dang it’s been a while. I kinda recall, you can have one thing to change and it changes on every page.

No, I just need to change the CSS to change the appearance.

I made the logo a bit smaller, and also reduced the whitespace above and below the logo. Now the logo area is about 40% shorter than before.

Also, I decreased the size of the topic title at the top of the main content, and reduced the large amount of whitespace underneath it.

Now there is significantly more main content visible above the fold.

And if you increase the width of your browser window just a tiny bit (so that all of the navigation menu items fit on a single line), that will give you about another 50 pixels of the content.

Now, with my browser window viewport (just the area where the content is rendered, not including the URL bar, tabs, etc.) at 1274 pixels high, when viewing this topic fully scrolled up, I can see all the way down past your attachment and about 75 pixels below the attachment “delete / detach” links.

Let me know what you think.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oh cool. Is better. I think that’s been my only peeve. The site is really looking good. Love the main page. :0)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks. I’m probably the only one that will ever mention it. :0P

I’d mention it . . . but you already did!

Yeah, it still eats up way too much screen real estate.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Editor's choice