An open letter to Matt Dillahunty:
Matt Dillahunty…you are wrong. I politely ask you to please stop lying about me. You have continually lied about my positions for 2 years now. Contrary to your unfounded and erroneous assertions based upon a gross misunderstanding of my arguments…I am not a prescriptivist.
If you do not know my positions then ask me or people that follow me regularly like my moderators for clarification. You have repeatedly strawmanned me and I am finally telling you that you’re simply WRONG. Not simply by fiat, but with evidence as you can go to my web page and read about some of my basic positions which would tell you that I am a descriptivist and always have been.
This open letter is also to inform anyone who ever hears Matt ever again call me a prescriptivist to challenge him and inform him once again that he is willfully lying about me. Matt simply asserts things by ipse dixit rather than actually addressing anything that I actually argue because it is much easier to burn down an effigy than it is to try to assail a strong argument. Matt makes claims about me that I will challenge him on as:
- I do not prescribe usages.
- I do not insist people use my usages.
- I do not insist some atheists are agnostics.
- I do not promote agnosticism.
- I do not think the normative philosophical understanding of the word “atheist” being a belief that God does not exist is the only one that exists (far from it).
- I do not believe words have “correct” or “intrinsic meaning”, but are ascribed to them meaning by usage to convey some context by illocution.
Here are my positions since 2018: https://greatdebatecommunity.com/2018/12/28/steve-mcraes-actual-positions-to-help-with-strawman-abatement-work-in-progress/
Eric Murphy from Talk Heathen erroneously claimed I was a prescriptivist once and he was honorable enough to correct it and recognize that I am a descriptivist…Matt, however, seems unwilling to correct himself, and to me, I will categorize that at this point as willful deception.
I will graciously await his retraction of his claim that I am a prescriptivist which has resulted of years of having me have to expain to people that I am not.